Let's face it. It's hot outside. And, when temperatures soar in sunny Southern California, there's no better place to be than sippin' cocktails and savoring homestyle cookin' on the patio.
We'd been wanting to go, since it opened years' ago, but the "no reservations" policy always seemed to trump our plans.
These days, however, we embrace it. And, just our luck, we were able to snag a spot on the open-air patio with NO WAIT! (It's true. Miracles CAN happen.)
The lengthy list of hand-crafted libations – with enticing ingredients like Lavender, Smoke, and Ginger – felt more like a test of our ability to choose one right answer.
And, the menu, while trying to be simple, was actually quite confusing. It failed to describe how the dish was composed, and thus required a waiter's explanation.
Despite the language test, once the food hit our lips, there was no question that the dishes were, indeed, genius.
- awesome dichotomy of creamy cool meets wood-fired warmth, Autumn Salad with Tomato, Pesto & Burrata $16
- undercooked inside, too much char on top 'n lacked acidity, Brussel Sprouts $9
- light, lemony, herbacious with hint of spice, Salmon Tartare with Chili Pepper on Buttered Toasty Points (special)
- unreal heartiness, love the mix of shredded & finely ground beef, Chili with Beef, Lentils, Sour Cream, Chive & Grilled Toast $16
- smart, sexy 'n fresh, Custom Spiced Rum Cocktail + Gloom Cocktail with Gin, Cocchi Americano, Lavender & Lemon $15 + $14
Perhaps, chef Noah Blom just wanted to taste test our imagination. Either way, he gets an A.
3321 Hyland Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. 949-500-5561.