Just in case you missed the Just Desserts Food Truck on Wednesday, September 15th – officially named "Top Chef Just Desserts Day" in honor of the Bravo TV show premiere – here's the proverbial Grubdown of the FREE tasty treats served at select trucks and locations around the nation.
- uber thick, perhaps a bit too much jam Strawberry Tarte Godiva Truffle with White Chocolate Cream
- i wanted to eat 5 of these to equal a whole slice Carrot Cake Godiva Truffles with Real Carrot Cake inside, Brown Sugar Crunch & Chopped Walnuts
- sweet peach flavor, but i wish it had some cookie crumble Peach Cobbler Breyers Ice Cream
- yummy, but i prefer actual chips to the thin chocolate rectangles Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breyers Ice Cream
- the thickest, cream cheesiest I've ever had Red Velvet Cupcake
- banana flavor stands out, savory bacon saves the day in this too-much-goin-on Peanut Butter Bacon Cupcake with Banana Nut Frosting
- bursting with cinnamon you can smell from a distance, really soft 'n buttery Oatmeal Raisin DeLuscious Cookie
- forget the chips, this one comes with chocolate slabs, soft 'n chewy Chocolate Chip DeLuscious Cookie
I was quite surprised at the Just Desserts Truck's generosity. Each person got a Cupcake, a Cookie, an Ice Cream, and a Truffle while they waited in the long line. The portions of the Ice Cream and Cookies were rather small, but the size of the Cupcakes certainly made up for it. Out of the two flavors both were kind of off. The Red Velvet's Cream Cheese Frosting was bordering on too thick 'n savory, and while I appreciated the crazy creativity of the Peanut Butter Bacon Banana Cupcake, it was way too sugar and I immediately needed a lemonade after the first bite.
Even though the cookies were small and thin like air, they were still everything you hope for – soft, buttery & chewy. I was really impressed by the fragrant Cinnamon in the Oatmeal Raisin and will definitely be tracking DeLuscious down for some more. And the Chocolate more like "Slab" Cookie was so chocolatey, the dough barely covered it – but hey I ain't complaining.
The Chocolate "Rectangles" in the Cookie Dough Breyers Ice Cream reminded me of those you find in the Mint Chocolate Chip flavor, so unfortunately that's all I could taste. The Peach was divine, but could have been better with some Cobbler Crumble.
And out of the Godiva Bakery Dessert Truffles, the Carrot Cake was definitely the best, since the Strawberry was too gooey.
If you were lucky enough to catch the Just Desserts Food Truck on Wednesday and are now watching the show, you'll probably recognize L.A. pastry chef Danielle Keene who was serving the free desserts from inside. No word on whether they'll be returning to the streets anytime soon. So for now, follow the host of the show @GailSimmons as well as @BravoTopChef and @BravoTV for updates.