Wanna kick it up a notch next time you head to Mammoth? Then take in the full snow-white winter log cabin experience at the Restaurant at Convict Lake, just 10 minutes away. This fine dining locals spot since the 1940s will turn any meal into a lifelong tradition, whether you're throwing a special event, enjoying a romantic evening, or just having fun with the fam.
The seasonal menu is chock full of way too many goodies to decide on, like Clay Pot Roasted Garlic ($8), Grilled Vegetable Strudel ($20), Osso Bucco ($30), and classic tableside Bananas Foster ($15). As a result of your impulse to just order it all, they even offer a courtesy shuttle to cart your carcass back to town.
- woodsy, boozey, garlic 'n thyme Trio of Marinated Mushrooms with Shiitake, Portabella & Button Mushrooms sauteed in Sherry $9
- creamy, crusty, lustful Warm Goat Cheese & Arugula Salad with Sherry Glazed caramelized Shallots, Diced Red Pepper, Tomato Water, Verjus & White Truffle Oil $13
- i wanted to like this, a little dry, could use more lemon Cashew Crusted Fresh Alpers Rainbow Trou Sauteed in Chardonnay Butter Sauce $28
- flaky, tender, love that thick red wine gravy Beef Wellington with Filet Mignon, Wild Mushroom Duxelle, and Bourbon Glace de Veau in Puffed Pastry $37
- more flavor than the Trout, tender with a rice vinegar 'n sesame spike Halibut Fish Special du Jour $MP
- peeerrrrrrrfectly cooked, juicy 'n tender, just order it 7 oz. Certified Angus beef Filet Mignon with Maytag Blue Cheese & Fried Leeks $37
- couldn't put the spoon down, fresh 'n flaky Fuji Apple & Mascarpone Strudel ala mode with Cognac Butterscotch $9
Each time I come to Convict Lake, my hand model and I can never stray from the Beef Wellington and Trout. While the Wellington was as delish as always, unfortunately the best part of the local Trout was the fresh Pureed Carrots with Cardamom on the side.
Definitely don't miss out on the Trio of Mushrooms – our table alone had 3 orders.
And as for Dessert, you seriously could order 1 of each 'cuz they all sound sooo good. But if you wanna do it up big, go Bananas Foster!
Follow Convict Lake Restaurant @CLRestaurant
2000 Convict Lake Road, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546. 800-992-2260.