Across the waterway from The Cannery on Lido Peninsula, this seafood restaurant offers Happy Hour food 'n drink from 3:30-6:30 M-F, daily fresh caught fish specials, a New England Style Lobster Clambake, an Oyster Bar – even dock-side for Duffy Rental dinner service.
- warm, toasty, crusty Sourdough Bread, complimentary
- totally New England style, not too thick, not too thin but just right, creamy 'n tender Clam Chowder Cup $4.95
- clean 'n simple Romaine & Mixed Green Salad with Diced Tomato, Red Onion & Sourdough Herb Croutons $5.95
- incredibly rich 'n tender, full 'n flaky Beer Battered Fish & Chips with Lemon Tartar Sauce and light 'n sweet Cole Slaw
- some were a super hit, some were a miss, yet crunchy in all the right places, juicy 'n tender Ipswich Fried Clams
- unfortunately tough, could use a little more seasoning, but super bountiful chunks with a nicely toasted bun Maine Lobster Roll with Fries $16.95
Driving down to the OC with plenty of time to spare for Happy Hour, the hand model and I took a ride across the always fun Balboa Island Ferry. Upon arrival, we just couldn't resist the open-air dockside patio, and chose to forgo the Happy Hour small plates menu for a full price seafood fest.
While the Ahi Poke Martini $13.95 and Oysters Rockefeller $9.95 sounded enticing, we definitely had to go with our seafood staples: Chowder, Fried Clams, Fish & Chips, and Lobster Roll. We were lucky enough to have a very accommodating waiter who let us customize the Fisherman's Platter $17.95 (usually Fish & Chips, Fried Scallops & Panko Shrimp) with Fish & Chips and Ipswich Fried Clams instead. The hand model wasn't too impressed by the Clams – probably because I selfishly snuck all the fat 'n juicy ones – or the Lobster Roll.
(Later he admitted that last year's family New England trip to Newport, Rhode Island's Flo's Clamshack, forever turned him into a seafood snob. Unfortunately, I had to agree with him for some. But the Clam Chowder and Fish & Chips were a definite standout.)
630 Lido Park Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92663. 949 675 3474. @bluewater_grill