Last week's winds blew in some fantastic city views. And the new luxury boutique Hotel Wilshire is the perfect place to capture it all. Looking onto the Hollywood Hills from Wilshire Blvd & Crescent Heights, Chef Eric Greenspan (of The Foundry on Melrose) dishes up everything from California Japanese fusion, like the Nori Nachos, to down-home comfort food like Burgers & Brussel Sprouts with Bacon.
Whether you're sitting at the swanky bar sipping on Glamourous Glennis $12 (Orange Vodka, Ginger Liquor, Grapefruit Juice & Candied Ginger), dining poolside in a cozy cabana, or throwing your own private bash on the fireside balcony, The Roof on Wilshire is the next hottest place to be – cold weather or not.
- i order it every time, creamy, savory, crunchy Nori Nachos with Crispy Rice Crackers, Tartare, Spicy Salmon Roe, Avocado, and QP Sauce $14
- massive, super tender, you'll have to share to avoid the decadent guilt Wilshire Burger with Cheddar Skirt, Sweet Dill & Onion Jam, Steak Sauce Aioli, and Challah Toast $12
- get your own 'cuz you won't want anyone to lay a finger on your grubby bowl of crispy, greasy goodness Fried Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Sweet & Sour Onions $6
- clever italian meets indian, wish there were more to go round with that cravable sauce, Curry-Apple Risotto Balls with Paneer Cheese & Spicy Yogurt $8
- small 'n simple, lightly sweet, looks like a work of art Sashimi with Albacore, Radish, Watermelon & Green Peppercorn Sauce $14
The Nori Nachos are forks down my favorite. It's enough to order as a meal, then split a few other sides with friends (trust me, everyone will want their own.) The cocktails are smart, the music is Euro lounge, and the atmosphere is sophisticated without being overly pretentious – let's just hope this Miracle Mile spot keeps it that way.
6317 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, California 90048. 323-852-6000. @HotelWilshire