After receiving an UrbanDaddy email one month ago entitled, "Book One of These Tables Immediately" you know that's exactly what Your Next Bite did for Valentine's Day. Il Covo was the place, and 401 was the table. In the old Barefoot Bar & Grill spot off 3rd st near Cedars Sinai, the coveted table sits right on the cusp of the swanky Italian-esque leather booth interior vs. the romantic treelined patio.
The setting – heartwarming. The service – impeccable. The food – simple, fresh, leaving a little for the stomach to be desired. The hand model and I skipped the Valentine's Day Prix Fixe menu in favor of the coveted handmade, fresh pastas, and always must-order, Burrata appetizer.
- i didn't think one could really screw up burrata until Il Covo set the bar from here on out, endless, creamy, bountiful in portion, Burrata alla Caprese with Heirloom Cherry Tomato $14
- too thin 'n salty, i wanted more cream sauce, more truffle (despite the hard shaved slices), and just plain more, Mezzelune Ravioli with Black Truffle Cream & Fresh Shaved Truffle $22
- it's hard to beat my all time favorite italian dish, the pasta was as fresh as can be, but the sauce was barely that, was way too dry and needed to be heartier and just plain "saucier", Tagliatelle Bolognese with Braised Beef & Parmigiano $19
- could be moister, flatbread style with fresh salt crusted herbs, Complimentary Bread
- almond 'n marzipan flavor, crunchy in texture with salt crystals, Complimentary Cookies
Il Covo left me with mixed feelings. The atmosphere and service were all on par, but the food was not as great as I'd hoped for. The Burrata was the star, and the Tagliatelle Bolognese was a close second. (If they had just incorporated more Tomato Sauce into what seemed to be just ground beef.)
I've heard amazing things of their entrees though – like the Branzino, Black Cod alla Livornese, and Osso Bucco with Saffron Risotto. I plan to return for a lovely patio Brunch or Lunch soon. Hopefully the dishes will measure up.
8700 W 3rd Street Los Angeles, CA 90048. 310-858-0020