You won't find anything more classic this Cinco de Mayo than an original Mexican meal at El Coyote in LA. Located near the Grove on Beverly Blvd, stars like John Wayne, Princess Grace of Monaco, even adolescent Drew Barrymore have been coming here since 1931.
Walking inside feels like stepping back in time, or perhaps into a Mexican hacienda. From the big brown booths to the year-round colored Christmas lights and waitresses donned in vibrant flowing embroidered dresses, El Coyote embodies all that's traditional Mexican – and same with the food.
On Cinco de Mayo, their always outstanding (why would you order anything else) House Margaritas and Coyote Combo Platters (from Carnitas to Ostrich) will be served alongside festive giveaways and cheery mariachi bands from noon to 11pm. Whether you're seated inside the dark red bar, family style dining room, or sun-kissed patio, there's plenty of room to enjoy!
- complimentary, spicy tomatoey ragu style, Complimentary Salsa with warm Chips
- big Chunky Avocado Guacamole with Onions, Tomato, Lime Juice, Cilantro, & special spices $5.75
- my favorite thing to order because it makes me feel somewhat healthy, moist 'n tender, definitely unique 2 STEAMED Shredded Beef Tacos $4.50
- oversized, chunky tender Pork Tamale smothered in Red Sauce & Cheese $4
- a hangover quencher, almost hard to find beneath all the melty cheesy goodness, Chicken Enchilada & Hard Steak Taco Combo Platter with Rice, Beans & thick-chopped Green Onions $11.50
As you can see, the handmodel and I went a little overboard the day we ordered. Needless to say, we ended up taking half our meal back to the casa. With larger than life portions and a sea of sauce 'n cheese, it's no wonder why we filled up so fast – I'm sure those delectable price points had something to do with it.
But, what I love most about the Coyote is how customizable everything is, right down to their "Guacamole Dinner" (basically any Combo + Guacamole + Soup or Salad + Non Alcoholic Beverage all for $13.50).
Definitely don't leave without trying their signature House Margarita & Steamed Taco.
Happy Cinco/Drinko de Mayo!