This past Mother's Day, my family and I couldn't wait to taste Amar Santana's "classic modern cuisine of the America's" at Broadway in Laguna Beach. One of the first weekends after the hand model and I moved down to The OC, we met a Marketing Director from Experian who highly recommended the place.
Located in the former Five Feet spot, the space is beautifully designed just like the cuisine is described – classic modern. As you walk inside, you're approached by a long bar, high top tables with microsuede bar stools, blue accent water glasses, various NY shots on the wall, a chef's dining bar, and dining room towards the back.
The menu is full of excellent choices from Farm Fresh Salads to Quail, Lamb, and Salmon. But, the prices are hefty and unfortunately not that worth it for some dishes, not all.
- i lucked out ordering the best thing on the menu, plump 'n juicy with mushroom & sage stuffing surprise, Bacon Wrapped Vermont Quail with Chinese Long Beans, Crispy Polenta, Trumpet Mushrooms & Garlic Jus (more like beef gravy) $32
- my dad got this 2nd best dish, thick 'n tender with a citrusy herbacious component that threw it off just a tad, Rosemary Basted Australian Rack of Lamb with Grilled Merguez, Braised Artichokes, White Bean Puree & Olive Jus $38
- it was a miss for mom :(, watery, lacking flavor, and overcooked, Oven Roasted Halibut with Spring Pea Nage, New Potatoes, Mint & Oven Dried Tomatoes $35
- if you don't like whole grains don't order this because it's a little tough to chew, the microgreens & cheese add a special touch, Toasted Barley Risotto with Slow Poached Egg, Seasonal Herbs, Shaved Reggiano Parmigiano & Wild Mushrooms $24
- too simple, lackluster, needed more vinaigrette or something with "oomph", Mixed Green Salad with Shallot Red Wine Vinaigrette, Cucumber, Baby Tomatoes & Poached Leeks $10
- while i appreciate the effort there's no need for the celery 'n grape, the crunchy toffee-like peanut butter & mousse stood perfectly on their own, White Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch with Fresh Grape Sorbet, Salted Caramel Peanuts & Candied Celery $10
Glass half empty or half full – whichever way you want to look at it – the food came out to be an even 50/50. The cocktails, on the other hand, were perfectly hand crafted by the mixologists behind the bar – try the Moscow Mule or Mint Julep. And the atmosphere was classy and inviting, right down to the details. (Love the slate butter 'n salt tray!)