Last weekend I got the itch to visit LA (naturally). The hand model, fabulous friend, and I decided to dine at recent "Around the World in 80 Plates" contestant, Chef Keven "Cheven" A. Lee's, The Sherbourne (pardon the mouth-full).
Tucked behind Jerry's Famous Deli, off Beverly and Sherbourne Dr., the restaurant forms a tiny triangle with a beautiful tree as the centerpiece. A skylight ceiling hangs above, only to tease you with the touch of fresh air that never was (not cool, considering last week's heat wave). A bar is off to the far right, reclaimed woods & fresh Rosemary decorate the tables, and animal skulls ensconce the dim lights.
That night, the service was nice, but scarce with 1 waiter down. The bartender was also our waitress, and the hostess was also the Tableside Trio of Potatoes server.
- so simple yet so clever, i couldn't eat it fast enough, creamy, heart-y, tangy, Grilled Artichoke Bowl with Dip inside of Cauliflower, Chick Peas, Spinach, Vermont Cheddar, Artichoke Hearts & Grilled Sourdough Toast Points $14
- points for presentation, more like two plates in one, nutty, scalliony, Tuna Tartare with Shallots, Chilies, Sesame Avocado, Edamame Hummus & Seasonal Root Chips $15
- a fresh special for the night, sweet 'n tangy with a lot of components, Feta & Watermelon Salad with Pea Shoots, Shaved Celery, Grapefruit Segments & Champagne Grapes
- the Truffled Purple wins 1st place making everyone fight for their next bite, classic Sour Cream Cheddar Chive 'n Bacon Yukon is 2nd best, and the Oreo Sweet Potato is only for the adventurous, Tableside Trio of Potatoes (complimentary)
- their most popular order, enough to share, falls right off the bone, could've done without the Green Olives, Lamb Shank with Confit of Early Fennel, sadly dry Zucchini & Parsnip Tots, and Tomato & Green Olive Tapenade $32
- my friend's 2nd favorite burger ever, tall as a tower, exploding with hot beefy juices and a nice char-grill, Sherbourne 1/2 lb. Burger & Shoestring Fries with Horseradish Cheddar, Buttermilk Onions, Oven Dried Tomato & Pork Belly $16
- super rich, thick 'n creamy, one bite and you know you're already in for a 3rd lap at Runyon, Side of Truffle Mac 'n Vermont Cheddar Cheese with Shitake Mushrooms $8
- bursting with fresh Berries 'n a Brown Sugar dust that adds a nice touch, Black and Blue Cocktail with Vodka, Chambord, Black and Blueberry Puree, Muddled Fresh Lime & a Splash of Soda Water $15
Let's be honest. The prices here are pretty steep. But the seasonal ingredients, artful presentation, and generous portions (like the Burger and the Lamb) make up for it.
I'd love to return on a night when they're fully staffed. The complimentary glass of Champ our bartender/waitress kindly offered us, helped ease the wait.
P.S. Make sure to ask about their 6 rotating nightly specials.
327 Sherbourne Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90048. 310-289-5942.