I hope you're fasting this week like me because Sunday, October 21st marks the seventh annual 2012 Los Angeles Magazine Event. Tucked away in picturesque Saddlerock Ranch (home to Semler and Malibu Family Wines), the rolling hills, roaming zebras, and rock formations are enough to satisfy your soul.
As for the fun, epicurean experts like Chef Ludo Lefebvre, KCRW "Good Food" host Evan Kleinman, and LA Mag's very own Leslie Bargar Suter (recent guest judge on Top Chef) will either be flexing their culinary muscles in demonstrations or answering your questions. Other goodies include beer & wine glass giveaways and fresh herb liqueurs.
Here's a look at what was on the table last year. Some will be returning.
- best thing all day, perfect shot of elegant comfort, Patina Butternut Squash Soup with Crème Fraiche, Chopped Chive, and what tasted like sweet Caramelized Salt Crystals
- way too dry, needed some sauce to dip it in, Mezze Shawarma with Housemade Pickes & Amba
- light ‘n refreshing, just what the hot day ordered, Lukshon Hawaiian Walu with Daikon & Nahm Jim
- could’ve lost the crostini canvas to enjoy the meat in all its glory, Saddle Peak Lodge Elk Tenderloin with Vanilla Butternut Squash Puree & Brandied Cherries
- by the time I got to this at the end of the day, it was a little soggy and lost its luster, Rivera Flan De Elote Corn Custard with Black Quinoa & Squash Blossom Sauce
- a taunting tower of tummy terror amidst the 74 other booths to try, yet oh so sinfully good, Frosted Cupcakery with Strawberry Cream Cheese, Chocolate Buttercream, Peanut Butter, and Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes
A Slice of Advice: Get There Early to get your money's worth! Tickets cost $115 per person and the event only goes from 2-5pm.
Believe it or not, the food goes fast.
Saddlerock Ranch. 31727 Mulholland Highway, Malibu, CA 90265.