First photo courtesy of coronadelmartoday.comLast weekend my friends and I enjoyed a dinner and a movie, right next door to one another, on a 3 day weekend with Newport Beach Restaurant Week prix-fixe deals. (As Borat would say, "Great Success!")
We dined at the Port Restaurant & Bar in Corona del Mar on a 3-course $30 meal that left us satisfied and more than full. Their Mediterranean menu offers everything from Kabobs to Pastas, Seafood and Steak.
On a Saturday night, the place was popping with a lively crowd & live band. Our table was situated near the stage (their bar adjoins the dining room so you can see and hear the entertainment). I'm not gonna lie, we were totally tempted to turn the speaker down a notch to hear each other – that is until the food came.
- lightly dressed, sweet essence, Chef's Salad with Mixed Greens, Romaine, Shaved Fennel, Cherry Tomatoes, and Champagne Vinaigrette
- must order, creamy, nutty, feathered texture, sweet 'n savory herb, Butternut Squash Soup with Creme Fraiche & Parsley
- nice crisp sear though a little tough, lots of fixins too, Chilean SeaBass with rustic meaty Mushroom & cheesy Parmesan Risotto, steamed Spinach, crisp Peppers, White Wine Sauce & Balsamic Reduction (Chef's special add $10)
- spicyness overrides the sweetness, sauce has great thickness, Yellow Chicken Curry with Mushrooms, Sundried Tomatoes, Roasted Peppers, cooling Cucumer Raita, Basmati Rice & Pita Slices
- unlike any flavor i've ever tried, very floral, almost like eating perfume but in a strangely good way, Saffron Ice Cream with Pistachios
- looked like a layered work of art up close, spongey with slightly citrus taste, Tiramisu with Chocolate Espresso Dust, Berries & Cream
I couldn't tell if it was my detox, or just because it was such a good deal, but our prix-fixe meal left me feeling full until happy hour the next day. Must orders include the Butternut Squash and the SeaBass!
Afterwards, we checked out the new-ish Port Theater. (If you haven't been yet, it's not your ordinary cinema. The floor is flat vs descending, the seats are comprised of backless leather arm chairs & sofas spread about in dollhouse fashion, and there are no cupholders, but heavy metal antique stools instead.)
Enjoy the last of Newport Beach Restaurant Week while you can thru January 27th.
440 Heliotrope Ave., Corona del Mar, CA 92625. 949-723-9685.