I don't know about you, but during the summer all I crave is seafood. Specifically, Fried Clams, Chowda, Oysters, Crab Legs, and Lobstah Rolls.
I'm sure it all stems from my childhood, when I used to "summah" in Rhode Island eating the fruits of the sea. But before the whole New England craze (Connie And Ted's, The Lobsta Truck, and Son of a Gun) finally took over LA, Blue Plate Oysterette in Santa Monica was my little seafood treasure chest. And, I'm happy to share the wealth with you.
Perched on Ocean Blvd, the space is colored appropriately in blue, white & sand with charming anchor & seashell accents thrown in.
And the food, tastes just as clean & fresh.
- the best rockefeller there ever were, large 'n plump, great balance of milky smooth and taste of the sea, Oysters Rockefeller with crisp Bread, Spinach & Parmesan topping $16 Half Dozen
- true to its roots, more brothy than creamy, New England Clam Chowder with fragrant Cherrystone Clams, light Cream & Bacon $8
- the blackened Fried Lemon Wheels are genius, juicy with greasy-in-a-good-way crunch, Fried Whole Belly Ipswich Clams & Lemon Aioli $18
- not my favorite because it's heavy on tomato flavor, but the clams are very tender, Linguine with Whole Littleneck Clams & Red Sauce $18
- bold move doin all red, hearty 'n thankfully lightly dressed, Red Cabbage Cole Slaw $4
Don't forget to bring your bib, 'cuz you might just lose yourself in the crazy goodness.
1355 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90402. 310-576-3474.