What's better than finally scoring that reservation at hip Laurel Hardware restaurant in LA? Stumbling home a mere 4 blocks away to your glamorous 1113 N Sweetzer Ave one-bedroom suite with old Hollywood charm.
This caringly restored 1951 building is far from a "complex". The grounds are like an English garden with center courtyard and peaceful fountain. Each 750+ sq. ft. suite offers bright natural light, floor-to-ceiling windows, large entertaining & kitchen areas, newly re-glazed soaking tubs, brand new hardwood floors, built-in shelving, and crown moulding, of course.
And the location can't be beat, just steps from Santa Monica Blvd.'s Marix Tex Mex Restaurant, Connie And Ted's, Yoshi's Sushi (blog to come!), and of course, Laurel Hardware.
Step up to the "store" and a bouncer greets you at the door. Walk inside and you'll find a dismal looking diner. Don't break your pace, just keep on cruising, until you hit the "scene". Industrial beams make up the bar on the left, while warm woods, candlelight, and brocade wallpaper fill the booths on the right (along with Russell Brand that night).
If you can manage to cut through the crowded center high-top tables, a beautiful tree-lit patio awaits you outside, suitable just for cocktailing. (The Sunday Sipper is just what the doctor ordered with Muddled Blueberries, Black Tea, Mint, Ginger Sprigs, clove-spiced Velvet Falernum & Larceny Kentucky Straight Bourbon $12)
- lemony, red peppery, crunchy, starchy, puffy & bigger than the old school snack, Cancha House Spiced "Corn Nuts" $4
- perfect rectangular cut, I wanted the bowl all to myself, House Cut Fries with Maldon Salt, Chives & Rocoto Aioli $5
- if you eat plain kale salad daily you'll enjoy this over-dressed, heavier, creamier, indulgent version, Lollipop Sprouts with Avocado, Pepitas & House Made "Ranch" $12
- sensing a theme here, they like to overdress & sweeten their salads, Bloomsdale Spinach with Smoked Almonds, Radishes, Mixed Herbs & Spiced Yogurt $12
- somehow tasted like apple pie rice pudding with citrus and fennel, Green Barley with Tangelos, Rhubarb & Shiso Vinaigrette $12
- great contrast of bitter greens and cardamom-like Christmas spice, Braised Beef Shoulder with Baby Kale, Beet Gastrique & Quince Butter $22
- oh-so-good gravy with bitter greens to cut the sweetness, unfortunately the meat was chewy 'n stringy, Oxtail with Roasted Pear, Pearl Onions & Dandelion Greens $22
- too simple, couldn't taste the cheese, really needed a creamy burrata to round out the flavor, Spring Squash Pizza with Ricotta Salata, Tallegio & Sumac $15
In sum? 50/50. My favorites were the Braised Beef, House Cut Fries, Lollipop Sprouts, and aforementioned cocktail.
The service? Helter Skelter. Not once, not twice, but thrice we were given the wrong dishes.
7984 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046. 323-656-6070.
Home Sweet Home:
1113 & 1119 North Sweetzer Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90069. http://www.1113sweetzer.com/