Labor Day weekend is upon us. So if you CAN take the heat, get outta town for a fabulous weekend at the Parker Palm Springs.
For Angeleno's and Orangina's (citizens of Orange County), Palm Springs couldn't be a better getaway. Even though it can be hot as hell (upwards of 110 degrees in the summer), it's just a quick hour and a half on the freeway. (I'd rather have the desert than a 3 hour traffic jam on the way to San Diego's finest beaches.)
Did I mention the Parker is like an adult playground? Designed by Jonathan Adler, this mid-century modern pad is adorned with tongue-in-cheek accents, like the lobby's hard to miss illuminated "Drugs" sign above the faux fireplace, funky astro chandelier, multi-colored vases, and a glass cowboy hat (I secretly want it).
Step outside on the manicured dirt paths & grass grounds and you'll find lawn croquet, life-size chess, red clay tennis courts, a 16,500 sq ft sailor-themed spa, and an oddly simple oval-shaped pool. (You better get up early to snag a chair.)
The rooms feature clean white linens & white brick walls, raw hide leather seats, and a touch of Morocco.
And the main restaurant, Mister Parker's, steals the show, draped in dark velvets, psychedelic artwork, and naughty naked lady paintings. (Say that 3x fast).
- i've never had lamb so tender, my fork accidentally hit it and the meat fell off the bone, Flinstone size Carre d'Agneau Lamb Shank with Lentils de Puy, Bloomsdale Spinach, and Pomelo Emulsion $38
- perfect butter sear, Carrots were long 'n stringy, but sweet Parsnip Puree saved the day, Saumon D'Ecosse with Lemon-braised Romaine Hearts & Red Wine Meyer Lemon Sauce $34
- not enough bounty but still curbed my craving, Microgreens & Lemon Creme Fraiche livened it up, but the Tempura Fried Quail Egg was dry, Tartare de Thon with Wasabi Tobiko Caviar & Togarashi Cracker $18
- take dessert fireside even in the desert, its'more about the experience than the taste, S'mores $ome ridiculous price
- make this a 2-fer by taking the Pancake off and asking for their bottle-me-up-good Citrus laced Blueberry Jam, Norma's Eggs Benedict with Canadian Bacon & Grilled Asparagus atop Buttermilk Pancakes $21
- how is this James Beard Award Winning?!?, bland, uneventful, i wanted a savory meat surprise inside, Potato Pancake with Homemade Cranberry Apple Sauce & Sweet Carrot Payasam $15
- stole the show, moist 'n tender Fajita Steak a la Gringo with Roasted Peppers & Onions, Guacamole, Black Beans & Corn Tortillas $22
Let's be real. The restaurants here are pricey. So if you can only afford one, make sure it's Mister Parker's. Go for a sexy romantic date night and lots of eye candy. (Check out my previous review on the unforgettable Short Rib.)
I really had high expectations for Norma's, but unfortunately the over-sized platters of carbs & sweets were too daunting for a hot day laying by the pool. You're better off skipping breakfast & ordering the Fajitas for lunch.
P.S. I love you
P.P.S. Go for the Glutton's Delight package