Last Sunday, the hand model and I had a hankering for some sushi after our seashore run. Let me tell you, finding a sushi restaurant that's open on a Sunday after lunch hour (3pm) is a tall feat. We were hot, we were tired, we were hungry, and all we wanted was a place that served Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice, Seaweed Salad, and Seared Ono.
In comes, Sushi on Fire. I rarely make it out to Huntington Beach, having over done the town in my college days. But, my coworker told me it's her favorite sushi place ever, so naturally I had to taste it for myself.
For a Sunday afternoon, this place was poppin'. The football game was on, so the high-top sushi bar was packed, and the service with smilin' faces was lacking as a result. Five minutes after walking in, we were finally seated.
Forget the 1/4 page sushi sheet, 'cuz this place gives you a full 8x10 checklist. I also spent about 10 minutes flipping through the 8 page laminated picture menu too. At this point my hand model's tummy and tongue was growling loud, so I had to make a decision fast.
- to die far, gone in 60 seconds, my fave preparation yet that's fatty 'n buttery like Toro with smokey Charcoal essence 'n Lime zest, Seared White Tuna Carpaccio with Cilantro, Sesame Seeds & Ponzu Sauce $13.95
- hit the spot for comfort food, crunchy 'n creamy Halloween Roll with Shrimp Tempura and Crab Salad, topped with Tuna, Avocado, Spicy Crab Mix & Eel Sauce $13.95
- warm 'n buttery crispy cake, not too spicy, wanted more sauce but still ordered two rounds, Rice Crispy Spicy Tuna with Scallion $5.50
- refreshing 'n light with a burst of Lemon, Seared Albacore & Scallion 2-Piece Sushi $4.95
- generous fatty piece that hung over the rice with Wasabi surprise inside, Salmon 2-Piece Sushi $4.95
- good texture strands, but dry and needed more acidity, Seaweed Salad with Su-Miso (ours didn't come with Tofu as menu suggests) $4.95
- standard cloudy broth but with perfectly square diced Tofu, Miso Soup with Seaweed & Tofu complimentary
Overall, the hand model 'n I really enjoyed the meal. We could have stayed for another hour ordering rolls galore if it weren't for the screaming kid next to us.
That being said, I recommend dining at night with a big group of friends and ordering rolls to your tummy's content, because there are just too many good ones to choose from.
Although, I'm pretty tempted to go back tomorrow and order that mouth-watering Seared Ono/White Tuna Carpaccio all to myself – some things just can't be shared.
301 Main St. #103, Huntington Beach, CA 92648. 714-374-8885.