First off, Great Maple serves "seasonal produce, responsible seafood, and farm fresh American meat." They also have a killer happy hour with one of my favorite items, the Fish Taco, only served from 3:30 to 6:30pm. Great Maple always has a daily "big salad", and offers a variety of dishes for everyone to enjoy from small shared plates to flatbreads, pastas, burgers, and seafood.
The space, like the food, is organic with rustic woods, earth tones, and an open kitchen. The bartenders are friendly and very accommodating. Same with the service that's also attentive and fast (sometimes too fast with plates doubling up before you know it).
- texture is just right, not too thick with rustic Corn bits, Pumpkin-like flavor, and a hint of Lemon, Corn Bisque & Chive Market Soup of the Day
- piping hot, spicy, half tender, half rubbery, Crispy Calamari with Lemon Caper Mayo, Chili Flakes & Fresh Olives
- falls right off the skin, perfect salt 'n pepper sear with buttery inside, Pan-Seared Scottish Salmon with Organic Succotash & Citrus Beurre Blanc
- overwhelming Blue Cheese crust, too pink for my liking, Flat Iron Steak Strip with Blue Cheese, Pink Peppercorn & A1-like Sauce, and sides of cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & steamed French Beans
- plump Cherries-a-plenty with buttery Crust, but needed Ice Cream for moisture, Cherry Seasonal Pie with Whipped Cream & Powdered Sugar
- warm Sourdough Bread 'n Butter drizzled with Sea Salt & Parsley Olive Oil
Overall, Great Maple's prix-fixe is a great deal. The portions are size-able and by the end of the meal, the hand model & I only had room to split one dessert. Out of the dining week options, I'd definitely order the Corn Bisque special and Salmon. Make sure to get there early for the Fish Taco, too.
1133 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660. 949-706-8282.