A friend of mine recently moved to the Silver Lake area, so when I asked him to pick one of his favorite spots for us to dine out, he suggested Hyperion Public.
Located on Hyperion Ave., the restaurant is lively, warm, and inviting. There are wooden patio benches outside, attempting to buffer the sounds of the crowd bellowing out the large street-facing windows. Inside, wicker-caged light bulbs hang above the rustic wood dining tables topped with candlelight.
Towards the back is the bar, where you can order Wine, Craft Beers, and crafty Cocktails. (Being a sucker for herbal infusions, I enjoyed the Rose Rickey with Hendrick’s Gin, Lillet Rose, Lime, and Soda $12.)
Perusing the menu, I found your standard gastropub bites like Burgers, Brussel Sprouts, Burrata Salads, and Fries. Then, I stumbled upon your not-so-average options like four types of housemade Gourmet Chicken Wings and a Vegan Pot Pie.
- so sinful with a thick crumbly crunch, I want every restaurant to serve them, Avocado Fries with Panko crust & Lime Cilantro Aioli $12
- different, like a syrupy Chicken Waffle, Blueberry Gourmet Wings with Celery, Carrot & Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing $17
- spicy 'n sweet, Thai Chili Gourmet Wings with Celery, Carrot & Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing $17
- while meat wasn't seasoned and it was a tad dry, when eaten all together it worked, Hyperion Burger with Angus Beef, Cheddar, Jack, Grilled Onion, Braised Mushroom, Lettuce, Applewood Bacon & Homemade Sauce $14
- perfectly seasoned, soft inside 'n corner crunch, French Fries with Chive & Homemade Ketchup
- skip it, nice Moroccan spice but unsettling-ly bitter with chewy top, Gluten Free Vegan Pot Pie with Cauliflower, Butternut Squash, Chickpeas, Herbs, Spices & Chickpea Flour Crust $14
Even though I didn't like the Vegan Pot Pie, the menu has a lot more tantalizing choices to beckon me back.
Unfortunately, the service was too fast, doubling up on plates when we weren't finished with the previous course.
At least the waiter was kind enough to take the Pot Pie off our bill. Cheers to better luck next time.
2538 Hyperion Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027. 323-761-6440.