Last Saturday, my cousin and our accompanying hand models indulged in a night at SUR Restaurant and Bar to check out all the drama from one of our favorite guilty Bravo TV pleasures, Vanderpump Rules.
Stepping out of our vehicle at the valet in our 4.5 inch platform heels and skinny jeans, to our surprise Lisa Vanderpump's husband, Ken, was right outside (reality star sighting #1 - check).
(Carefully) walking in, our senses were aroused by the smell of fresh-cut flowers, the sights of pink and purple lights, and the sounds of "Sexy" French tunes transporting us to St. Tropez.
Pushing our way through the popping crowd to the bar, we saw Tom the bartender (reality star sighting #2). Unfortunately he didn't tend to us – no big deal – but I'm sure he would've been able to concoct something "Unique" for me after our bartender told me there was no more St. Germain liqueur to make the Casablanca.
After we paid for our drinks, our table was ready and we made our way (cautiously) in our stilettos down the steps to the dining room. While we didn't get a star waitress, Lisa's son, Max, was our busser (reality star sighting #3).
The table was romantically decorated with rose petals, silver votives, and a flower center piece fit for a wedding. The menu was a mix of Mediterranean, California Mexican, and sadly too many Chicken dishes to count on one hand. (We did not partake in the poultry).
- cajun-like salt 'n pepper crust seasoning, grains were cold 'n lacked flavor, Couscous Salad with Ahi Tuna, Lime, Olive Oil Dressing & Avocado topping $12
- great sear, but fish was overcooked and the italian salsa was bland, Fish Market Special Halibut with Chopped Tomatoes, Capers & Roasted Vegetables $34
- smokey sauteed Spinach overpowered the delicate shellfish, Lobster and Crab Ravioli over Spinach with Vodka Lobster Cream Sauce $23
- cut was too thick and meat was chewy, Veal Milanesa Napolitana with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Sauce, Salad & Mashed Potatoes Side Orders $25
- best thing we ate, buttery crumbles, bursting berrries 'n syrup, could've scaled back a scoop, Blackberry Cobbler A La Mode $9
I wanted to like the "Restaurant", but the fact that each dish had something wrong from being too bland to over-seasoned or overcooked, just wasn't worth the prices.
My cousin's favorite dish was the Fried Goat Cheese Balls. She said, "I could eat those balls all day long". But that's another story....
Despite the food and my cocktail missing a key ingredient, I did enjoy the atmosphere and the music.
That being said, one should come to SUR only for Lisa Vanderpump's two favorite things, as said in her Real Housewives of Beverly Hills tagline, "Life isn't always Diamonds and Rose, but it should be".
P.S. Yes, we did see the woman of the house, Lisa Vanderpump herself (reality star sighting #4), dining on the patio out back with her husband Ken (seen earlier) and friend Mohamed (reality star sighting #5).
While Jax, Stassi, and Scheana were nowhere to be found, we did get a kick out of seeing Kristen (reality star sighting #6) pissed off the entire evening – just as expected.