Recently, the hand model & I visited fellow foodie friends in one of my favorite town's to eat, West Hollywood. They'd been to Night+Market several times, for the food and occasional celebrity sighting.
The Weho location is located on Sunset boulevard right next to Talesai. Walking inside, immediately your senses are hit by loud colors, boisterous conversation, and sweet 'n spicy smells. It's like an outdoor street fair turned inside.
To the left is a formal bar setting with contemporary art on the wall. But the brightly painted orange & blue, simple dining room is where the magic's at.
We had a little snafu with the reservation, but the hostess was able to accommodate us with just under a 10 minute wait. Upon being seated, we perused the regular and specials menu. If you're new to Thai food, the menu can be a challenge to maneuver. The restaurant also prefers that you order all your dishes at once, so you don't "wait forever" on their small kitchen crew. Here's what we ordered, from our friend's favorites, to my selections, and the waiter's recommendations.
- bright citrus 'n spice wakes up your taste buds, Larb Gai with Minced Chicken, Lime, Fish Sauce, Rice Powder, Chile, Cilantro & Onion $10
- sweet 'n sticky, cornmeal-crusted Hey-Ha Party Chicken Wings with Sliced Green Onions $8
- cool crunch, not too sweet Som Tum Papaya Salad slaw style with Carrots, Scallions, Cherry Tomatoes & Roasted Peanuts $7
- not too fatty, tender with a sweet 'n smokey char, Pork Toro Grilled Hog Collar with Jeew Northeastern Chile Dip $7
- odd texture 'n fishy flavor, recommend by our waiter but our least favorite, Gapi Lohn with Shrimp Paste Nam Prik, Wild Ginger, Lemongrass & Coconut Cream $10
- super sticky, lacked flavor, Coconut Rice Side $2.50
- meat falls right off the bone, sweet 'n sour broth, Nam Ngiew Pa Kaew Fat Rice Noodle, Clear Pork Broth, Pork & Chile Ragu with Toppings $14
- lots of different textures 'n flavors, Kao Kluk Gapi Shrimp Paste-Seasoned Rice with Candied Pork, Shredded Egg Omelet, Red Onion, Green mango, Cilantro & Bird Eye Chile $13
- fragrant garlic, addicting, like beef 'n broccoli without the beef, Pad Pak Ka Naa Chinese Broccoli sauteed with Garlic & Chile $9
- meat is a little dry but somehow works well with the sticky noodles and ended up being my favorite, Pad Kee Mao Drunken Flat Noodles with Short Ribs, Chile, Basil & Garlic $11
Between the four of us, 10 dishes were perfect as they're served small plate style. We only had a little bit leftover. Although, I can't say the same for the table-top beer keg....
9043 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069. 310-275-9724.