This past weekend, the hand model and I visited friends in San Diego. They suggested the Crack Shack in Little Italy near downtown.
It's a fast casual concept that serves seriously good slow food – think locally sourced, free range Jidori Chicken.
The atmosphere is fun with family style picnic tables, an open air bar – even a bocce ball lawn complete with giant chicken statues.
Top Chef All Star winner Richard Blais, Jon Sloan, Michael Rosen, and Dan Pena are the masterminds behind this clever, cluckin' good coop.
- crispy outside, super juicy inside, buttermilk flavor with just the right amount of grease, Fried Chicken 10 PC $28.00
- could've eaten the whole thing, lightly dressed 'n not the chewy kind, Kale Caesar Salad with Shaved Baby Kale, Fennel, English Muffin Croutons & Lemon Anchovy Dressing $8
- too crunchy 'n needed more dressing, Cracked Classic Slaw with Kale, Kimchi, Agave Mustard & Celery Seed Dressing $5
- rich 'n savory, Schmaltz (Rendered Chicken Fat) Fried Fries $5
- refreshingly sweet 'n perfectly diced, Border Slaw with Papaya, Mango, Jicama, Coconut, Chili & Pineapple $5
- crunchier 'n dry compared to the fried chicken, Chicken Lollipops with Togarashi & Lemon 6 PC $10
- BBQ, Crazy Ketchup, Fire Sauce, Ranch, Chimichurri, and my favorite the Vadouvan Curry Mustard Sauces (complimentary)
- we couldn't decide on the toppings so we ordered them all, Horchata Caramel, Chocolate, Brownie Bites & Bacon, Soft Serve Ice Cream Toppings
- soft 'n chewy, Cookies & Cream Cookie
Our group of 6 split all the dishes and we had plenty of leftovers. While I didn't try the Deviled Eggs, my favorites and must-orders of the night, include the Fried Chicken, Kale Caesar Salad, and Schmaltz Fries.
It's seriously some of the best, cluckin' Chicken I've had in a long time. No wonder why MSN named it the one of the Best Chicken Restaurants in the U.S.
2266 Kettner Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101. 619-795-3299.