This blog post has been a long time coming – perhaps because I consider it the "Holy Grail" of restaurants, or maybe because I just wanted to keep it all to myself.
The hand model and I have been coming to Son of a Gun at least once a year, ever since it opened seven years ago on my favorite restaurant row, Little W. 3rd Street. Back then, owners Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo only had Animal (their meat-ier spot 'round the corner on Fairfax) in LA. Today, the pair have a handful of restaurants, including three collabs with Chef Ludo Lefebvre.
Now back to the "Grail". I call it this because Son of Gun has a unique way of celebrating simple seafood dishes. Their Lobster Roll looks like a handheld piece of art, perfectly manicured and topped off with pristine Potato Chips. And, their Linguini & Clams – a.k.a. the reason we come back year after year – has a velvety richness that forces you to never let go of the fork, thanks to the Uni Butter folded in.
The space is intimate and always crowded. The walls are sailor chic and adorned with treasures from a fisherman's sea chest. The small bar at the back packs a punch with handcrafted cocktails, fresh juices & garnishes. And, the service always comes with a smile.
- a mouthful of art, Lobster Roll with Celery & Lemon Aioli $12
- seriously toasty 'n buttery with a hint of jam, Shrimp Toast Sandwich with Hoisin, Herbs & Sriracha Mayo $14
- a light citrus snack, Citrus, Avocado, Spring Onion & Cress $15
- smokey 'n creamy with a fresh crunch, Smoked Mahi Dip, Celery, Radish & Crackers $19
- you wont want to share this rich velvety dish with a spicy kick, Linguini & Clams, Uni Aglio-Olio, Chili & Breadcrumbs $28
- mountainous yet tender 'n pickled sweet, Fried Chicken Sandwich with Spicy B&B Pickle Slaw & Rooster Aioli $17
- unique ribbed texture with a creamy bacon touch, Skate Wing with Baby Broccoli, Mascarpone & Pancetta Vinaigrette $25
- love the idea but a little rich after a heavy meal, Italian Hamburger, Gjanduja, Brioche, Caramel & Maldon $10
- like a bonfire on a Mexican beach, You Want It? You Got It. Cocktail with Mezcal, Mandarinquat Lime, Pineapple, Jalapeno, Agave & Smoked Chili $14 (pictured right)
Definite must-orders are the Shrimp Toast, Linguini & Clams, and the Fried Chicken Sandwich. We order them every time, and sometimes that's all we need. Over the past seven years, the menu has been ever-changing, but at least these three staples remain.
Son of a Gun also offers a variety of crudo like Hamachi and Yellowfin Tuna, as well as Oysters on the Half. Meat eaters can dish on Smoked Baby Back Ribs and Alligator Schnitzel, while Vegetarians can delight in Bloomsdale Spinach with Maitake Mushrooms and Crispy Brussels Sprouts with a perfect Egg.
Lunch is served daily from 12pm-3pm. Dinner is served Sunday through Thursday from 6pm-10pm and Friday through Saturday from 6pm-11pm.
Until next bite!
8370 W. 3rd St., Los Angeles, CA 90048. 323-782-9033.