Just a few weeks ago over the 4th of July holiday, we had a mini family reunion with some festive seafood feasts in Narragansett, Rhode Island. The area is a beautiful beach strip, home to The Towers (a historic landmark and former casino) and the Point Judith Lighthouse (featured in one of my favorite films, Dan in Real Life).
We also took the ferry to Block Island and hopped in the car visiting Matunuck, South Kingston and Newport to sample more of Rhode Island's finest.
Because when the weather is hot, humid, and sometimes hazy, what better to do than escape to the beach for a family BBQ or a cool air-conditioned restaurant overlooking the water.
Ocean Pride - Local fresh seafood market
- what Rhode Island is all about, "Stuffies" stuffed Quahog Clams with Breadcrumbs, Peppers, Onion, Chorizo, and Paprika Seasonings
The Coast Guard House - Historic Towers landmark & upscale seafood restaurant perched on the rocks overlooking the ocean
- cool, herbacious 'n fresh, Lobster Roll with Citrus Aioli, Herbs & Lettuce on a Buttered Brioche Roll $19.5
Dead Eye Dick's - Waterfront steak & seafood spot in New Harbor, Block Island
- hot, buttery 'n abundant, Hot Lobster Roll on a Brioche Bun $23
Matunuck Oyster Bar - Raw bar & seafood restaurant on Potter Pond
- the smoky 'n sweet Bourbon were the best oysters of the trip, Oyster Trio: 2 Grilled, 2 Bourbon, and 2 Oysters Rockefeller $13.95
- super tender with just the right garlic touch, Rhode Island Littleneck Clams & Linguini with White Wine, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Fresh Herbs $18.95
- i still think about it daily, should be packed & sold in stores, Matunuck Key Lime Pie Pop with Key Lime Pie filling, Graham Cracker Crust and dipped in White Chocolate
TwoTen Oyster Bar & Grill - Oyster & seafood restaurant with waterfront deck dining and marble bar
- lobster-topped oyster was impressive, but all had the same garlic notes, Baked Oyster Sampler: 2 Garlic Butter, 2 Lemon Butter, and 2 Lobster Butter all topped with Breadcrumbs $15
Aunt Carrie's - 4 generations of traditional Rhode Island seafood & home cookin'
- classic thin broth, Rhode Island Clam Chowder with Clams & Potatoes $5.89 Bowl
- fluffy, fried, award-winning Clam Cakes $4.99 Half Dozen
- tender with an outside crunch, Fried Whole Belly Clams with Green Beans & Cole Slaw $Market Price
Needless to say, the whole family came back a few pounds heavier, but every bite was worth it. Until next year!
Aunt Carrie's restaurant photo courtesy of auntcarriesri.com