Pacific Edge Hotel's The Deck is the closest you'll get to ordering a drink with sand in your feet. Situated in a former Hollywood star's beach house in Laguna, The Deck serves up your standard seafood fare, cocktails, and your favorite hits – all in reggae form – by The Dub Rock Duo.
To be frank, you don't really come here for anything but the view. The minute you step foot on the "deck" that vacation feeling takes over – unfortunately for the servers too. So grab a table up front, get ready to watch the sunset, and wait around for your drinks – especially if it's the weekend.
Same goes for the food. On the Sunday we arrived, some of the menu items disappointingly were no longer available (including ingredients in dishes we had already ordered, that our server neglected to tell us about.)
- the best & most creative dish we ordered, spicy 'n sweet with a fresh crunch, Ahi Chips with Pepper & Paprika Crust, Cabbage Salad & Citrus Soy Glaze on a Wonton $15
- pretty standard, wish they were crispier, the noodles made it a meal, Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chile Sauce & Asian Noodles $14 (not pictured)
- the crab was missing and we were pretty crabby about it, at least the sweet 'n sesame seaweeed salad offered salvation, Ahi & (Missing Crab) Stack with Mango Coulis & Wasabi Aioli $15
- plump and served "up", Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce $15
- all the essential tastes blended nicely, acid, sweet, earthy, and spicy Spinach Salad with Walnuts, Raspberries, Green Apple Slices, Red Onions, Blue Cheese & Balsamic Vinaigrette $11
- overseared and dry, sauce was lemony 'n velvety, Alaskan Halibut with Sunburst Clams, Chorizo & Broccoli instead of Zucchini (they must have run out again) $32
- tough and not worth it, the mushrooms were the best part, One Pound Maine Lobster Thermidor with Exotic Mushrooms, Truffle Oil & Parmesan Bechamel Sauce $42
For how high the prices were, the food just missed the mark. But I have to admit, the Banana Bread Pudding our neighbor ordered smelled and looked divine.
Next time, I'll be soaking up the sunset with just the Ahi Chips, what should have been the Ahi and CRAB Stack, and a Guava Bellini.
627 Sleepy Hollow Lane, Laguna Beach, CA 92651. 949-494-6700.