The Suite Life had been trying to get Your Next Bite to The Corner in Huntington Beach for quite some time. After months of texting & failed attempts, our schedules finally aligned and we made it for a Friday night out. (I don't think you understand....)
The Corner is a casual spot located, none other than on 'the corner', of a strip mall across from the unassuming Adams Ave. Donuts, where Ashlee Simpson once filmed her music video "La La". (The Suite Life made me tell you.) The disguised-as-a-divebar place used to be a Chinese restaurant. You can find hidden clues throughout, like its original ceiling and Koi fish mural overhead at the bar. As far as the walls, they are barren – and for good reason – because at The Corner, the art is on your plate, instead of the walls.
The food is modern American, farm-to-table comfort cuisine, brought to you by owner/chef Chris Grodach, formerly of The Loft at The Montage. (One day we'll make it there, The Suite Life. How does March 2020 sound?) There's something for everyone to enjoy from Rose Cocktails to Gluten Free Little Gem Lettuces with Snow Crab, Kid's Menu Cheeseburgers, Lobster Bolognese Pappardelle, and 48-hour Fries. Did I mention there's a whole secret menu, too? (Thanks for sharing, The Suite Life!)
- sweet 'n salty just like my favorites from AOC, Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Blue Cheese $9
- melt-in-you-mouth, 48hr Fries with Secret Sauce, Housemade Ketchup (and off-the secret menu Sriracha Butter) $6
- I wanted to like it more and would've if there was more Burrata, Grilled Jumbo Asparagus with Speck, Burrata, Pistachio Mint Oil & Cured Lemon Peel $13
- strangely satisfying and off the secret menu, Crispy Short Rib & Mashed Potato Taco with Aged White Cheddar, Pepperoncini, Salsa, Sriracha, Onion & Cilantro $11
- elevated 'n fresh, Korean Style BBQ Chicken with Cucumber, Spicy Red Pepper, Green Onions, Radish, Cilantro, Lettuce Wraps & Peanut Sauce $18
- I'm not one to order a fruit tart but this was a citrusy delight, Blood Orange Tart with Brown Butter Crust, Blood Orange Curd, Blood Chantilly & Chocolate Caramel $10
- sticky 'n sweet not even using a whole stick of butter!, Brown Sugar Butter cake with Maple-Bourbon Glaze & Vanilla Ice Cream $10
- refreshing and addicting, Rose Colored Glasses and custom Mezcal Cocktails $11
I would honestly order everything again. And, the item I felt most skeptical about, having heard about it months prior – the secret menu Short Rib & Mashed Potato Taco – I secretly liked best. This is California, why not put it in a taco?
The space is no frills, the service is friendly, and even the handful of families hogging the booths at Happy Hour were chill.
If you want to throw a party, there's a private room at the back, currently filled with the entire restaurant's furniture as they undergo a floor renovation.
Don't worry though...the art will still be on your plate.
8961 Adams ave., Huntington Beach, CA 92646. 714-968-6800.