This Thanksgiving, when it's time to toss the turkey and the in-laws out, head on over to the newly opened Hopdoddy Burger Bar in Newport Beach.
Hopdoddy – yes, that's "doddy", not "daddy"– is located in Fashion Island, just past Sushi Roku and across from Kitson. The name combines their love of "hoppy" craft beers, plus their nickname for a "tasty cow", a.k.a. "doddy".
Hoppy Beers served include the Thirsty Planet Buckethead IPA and the 512 IPA. Burgers range from Tasty Cows, like the Primetime with Texas Akaushi Beef to Tasty Fish, like the Sushi-Grade Ahi Tuna Burger.
The restaurant has minimalist decor, great patio seating, an open kitchen to see the chefs in action, and a great bar with housemade Triple Sec in a pitcher.
- clean, thick 'n juicy, the bacon 'n cheese add-ons really make it, The Classic Burger with Angus Beef, Red Leaf Lettuce, White Onion, Ripe Beefsteak Tomato & Sassy Sauce (Horseradish, Ketchup & Mustard) $9
- sharp flavors from herbal basil to umami and onion, Magic Shroom Burger with Angus Beef, Local Goat Cheese, Field Mushrooms & Mayo Basil Pesto $8.75
- salty, garlicky' n chunky, Parmesan Truffle Fries $6.50
- irresistible velvety 'n spicy, Green Chile Queso Fries $6.50
- super filling, sweet 'n flavorful, Baby Kale Salad with Arugula, Feta, Roasted Butternut Squash, Roasted Corn, Pickled Red Onion, Spiced Pepitas & Pomegranate Vinaigrette $9.25
One thing Hopdoddy does differently is serve all your sides up front, so you have more time to peruse the main courses. Don't fall into this trap, unless you have a fast metabolism, 'cuz you'll end up devouring every last bite of their greasy-in-a-good-way fries and irresistible dips. It's downright dangerous.
P.S. Parents must park their strollers outside, but they do offer clip-on table high chairs complimentary.
401 Newport Center Dr., #411, Newport Beach, CA, 92660. 949-640-2337.