After being down in The OC for over a month now, one of my favorite new finds is 2-month old French bakery, Le Petit Bateau, off PCH in quaint, seaside Corona del Mar.
The cafe is adorable meets modern, selling intricate truffles & brightly colored macaroons neatly spaced on glass & silver counters and purchased from – none other than – an iPad 2 (white, not black).
This Mother's Day, Le Petit Bateau is offering 15% off any 1/2 dozen box of these said treats, wrapped in polka dot, jacquard, striped, floral – whatever your mom's heart desires – beautiful, keepsake packaging. (Mom, if you're reading this, SURPRISE!)
- the best one I tasted, true to flavor, velvety 'n crunchy, Cookies 'N Cream Macaroon
- my 2nd favorite, highly recommended by the waiter, minty fresh with specks of heaven, Chocolate Mint Macaroon
- i didn't think it was possible, but even this flavor was faint, more coffee like, Pistachio Macaroon
- wasn't as tropical as I'd hoped for, again more like Vanilla, Coconut Macaroon
- how can you go wrong, Chocolate Macaroon
- forefront flavor was Vanilla, with a little Birthday Cake mixed in, only a hint of floral, Rose Macaroon
Despite the fact that some of the flavors didn't live up to their potential, their texture & freshness are some of the best in town – even a day later – with rich 'n creamy filling that melts in your mouth.
I can't wait to return to try their Croque Monsieur with Mushroom Pesto ($8.95), one of their signature Flatbreads ($11.95), or a simple Omelet.
Happy Mother's Day!
P.S. Sorry, about forgetting to add the price for the Macaroons. Sometimes, you just can't put a price on happiness.