Two weeks ago, a good friend of mine treated me to an early birthday brunch. Living near Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice where options are a plenty, he made sure to choose wisely for this here food blogger. That he did.
He took me to 3 Square Cafe, a sister restaurant of Rockenwagner Bakery. German Chef Hans Rockenwagner based the cafe on a classic concept: 3 Square Meals a day. Breakfast serves Fresh Baked Sweets and Breads. Lunch includes Artisan Salads and Sandwiches. And Dinner allows for Comfort Food with a twist like the Pretzel Burger.
The space is contemporary with warm woods, white walls, and a lot of light from the floor to ceiling windows. The staff is friendly, the service is fast, and the food featured something brand new I wish they bottled up to take home.
- (this might get graphic) sausage is soft 'n smooth, plump 'n juicy without any hard skin, and melts in your mouth, Wiener Fruhstuck Viennese Sausage with Poached Egg, Pretzel & Hot Mustard $10.75
- i wish they sold this in jars, looks like sauerkraut but tastes like warm apple pie filling that's savory not slimy, buttery, and has a hint of sweetness, Sauteed Apples & Onions (comes with above dish)
- a beautiful thing happens when the spicy Tomato Spread meets the sweet Brioche Bun, Caprese Benedict with Romesco, Heirloom Tomatoes, Burrata, Basil, Two perfectly Poached Eggs & Hollandaise $16.50
- like a steamed, fluffy, moist cinnamon bun, Souffled German Apple Pancake with Strawberries, Blueberries, Powdered Sugar, Creme Fraiche & don't-forget-to-add-the-Syrup $12
- sinfully divine, crunchy outside and velvety inside, Avocado Fries with Fire-Roasted Salsa $7
- unfortunately lackluster because the "Hash" was deceiving, Green Pea and Asparagus Halved-Potatoes-NOT-HASH with Pea Tendrils, Basil, Two Poached Eggs & Harissa $14.95
3 Square Cafe's menu offers so many delightful choices – Quinoa Burgers, Grilled Asparagus Salads with Mimosa Dressing, Nutella Brioche – that it's really hard to decide.
But the first four dishes we tried are not to be missed! Guess you'll just have to go with a big group.
Guten Appetit! Mahlzeit!