There's a reason why I've eaten at Haute Cakes Caffe for the past two weekends in a row – because they serve healthy & hearty dishes with specialty surprises.
I've driven by Haute Cakes several times on Costa Mesa's up & coming 17th St. But, it wasn't until I was ravenously searching the internet after a 3.6 mile Saturday morning run, that I hit the jackpot.
FINALLY, a restaurant that serves fancy Pancakes and other healthy treats 'til 3pm! Buttermilk, check. Blueberry, check. Gluten Free, bonus. Orange Ricotta, I'm in.
Upon walking under the Haute Cakes archway and through the tranquil secret garden-esque patio, I couldn't wait to put my order in. Unfortunately, the long line was preventing me from doing so. But after peering through the people and seeing the lavish counter display of Macaroons, Cinnamon Twists, Muffins & Quiches, I understood why.
Ten minutes later, I was all studied up on the menu and about to make my important breakfast decision at the register when it hit me. The Seaworth Coffee poster. Picture a large mason jar overflowing with perfectly square ice cubes, and a stormy sea of cream and coffee swirls. There was no question – I had to get it.
- rich, ice cold coffee with sweet coconut cream, The Seaworth "Single-Fin Sludge" Cold Brew Coffee with Organic Half & Half and Coconut Simple Syrup $4
- bursting with citrus zest, warm 'n fluffy, Orange Ricotta Haute Cakes topped with Mixed Berries $10.50
- it's all about the smokey sweet jam, the hand model proclaimed it's the best-ever, Breakfast Sandwich Special with Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Fried Eggs & Tomato Bacon Jam on Sourdough $10
- so well-seasoned you don't even miss the beef, hearty 'n cheesy, Three Bean Turkey Chili with shredded Cheddar, Sour Cream & chopped Red Onion $3.95 Bowl
- sweet cider vinegar, smooth texture, Kale Salad with shredded Carrot, Raisins, chopped Walnuts & Cucumber
- packs a punch with chunky meat 'n potato, Mini Frittata with Ham, Spinach, Tomato, Cheese & Potato
- soft cheesy scramble, could use some spice, All American Breakfast with Cheddar Cheese, Avocado, crispy Bacon, Fruit & Roasted Herb Potatoes with Caramelized Red Onion $9.75
Both times I visited, there were new daily specials, deli salads, and baked sweets to try. I haven't, however, been able to escape the irresistible Seaworth Iced "cawfee" that reminds me of my mom's Rhode Island home.
Third times a charm!
1807 Westcliff Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660. 949-642-4114.