Last weekend, the hand model & I traveled down south to Carlsbad for a low-key anniversary. (Last year was quite the adventure visiting Chichen Itza and staying at the all-inclusive Blue Diamond Riviera Maya Resort). This time around we booked the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort & Spa with a room overlooking the pool and Pacific. Being Memorial Day weekend, the hotel had some great nightly entertainment to offer, like happy hour, live music, even a poolside movie for kids.
Our first night, we dined at the hotel's sole restaurant, Chandler's. The place has great atmosphere with modern architecture, an outdoor firepit, and ocean view dining.
Our second night, we took the hotel's complimentary shuttle into Carlsbad Village to Vigilucci's Cucina Italiana, a restaurant and bar with old school Italian charm.
The morning we left, we decided to fore-go brunch and hit the beach instead with sandwiches to go from the famous Board & Brew in town.
- beautiful medley of flavors from sweet Beurre Blanc Sauce to earthy Wild Mushrooms, fish is tender but Crab gets lost in the breading, Crab-Crusted Sea Bass with Bloomsdale Spinach $28
- golden cornmeal battered crunch that'll make you fight over the very last one, Fried Calamari with Harissa Aioli & Cocktail Sauce $11 (happy hour price)
- honest to godfather, the BEST Lasagna I've ever had, a Bolognese meat lover's heaven with delicate layers of Fresh Homemade Pasta, Bechamel Sauce, Mozzarella & Parmiganio $17
- a sinful way to eat your veggies, greasy but good, loaded with meltey cheese, Carciofini al Forno Oven-roasted Artichoke hearts filled with Parmigiano, Parsley Black Olives, Garlic & Mozzarella $13.50
- ridiculously stacked high 'n packed with fresh veggie crunch & guac, Vegi Supreme Sandwich with Cheddar & Jack Cheese, Cucumber, Mayo, Red Onions, Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Sprouts & Avocado on sweet Squaw Bread $5.95 (photo courtesy of BoardandBrew.com as we gobbled it up too quickly)
Even though I'm a seafood lover, I have to say Vigilucci's authentic Italian stole the show last weekend.