I've been wanting to visit the new(ish) Pacific City since it opened up in Huntington Beach this past December.
When the hand model and I found out a new Mexican spot – Ola Mexican Kitchen – was going in, we couldn't have been happier, as it's one of our favorite cuisines.
We didn't have a reservation upon walking in on an early Saturday evening, but the wait wasn't too bad. We had time to explore the shops at Pacific City, while we waited for our coveted ocean view table for sunset.
Ola actually means "wave" in Spanish, and "life" in Hawaiian. And let me tell you, when you're sippin' their fresh Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita, you're definitely feelin' the life, while watching the waves go by.
- greasy, fried, kissed with chili dust & hit the spot, Chips & smokey roasted Salsa (complimentary)
- refreshing and tropical, Acapulco Ceviche with Mexican Rock Fish, Lime sorbet & fresh Pico De Gallo $10
- it'll change the way you eat corn forever, creamy, cool 'n filling, Elote Man Roasted Corn with Cotija Cheese & Lime Aioli $7
- tender, but lightly seasoned and dry, Lobster Taco with Tequila Citrus Butter & Mexican Corn Slaw on a Blue Corn Tortilla $16
- juicy 'n hearty with a bit of greens, Cedar River Farms Filet Mignon Taco with melted Chihuahua Cheese, Cilantro, Mixed Greens, Ancho Chile Adobo & Queso Fresco $16
- served rolled like tacos with mild chipotle smokey sauce, Jidori Free Range Enchiladas de Pollo with Chihuahua Cheese & homemade Guajillio Pepper Sauce $16
- thankfully comes out fast, Kids Meal Quesadilla with choice of sides like Black Beans & Roasted Corn
Off the dinner menu, must orders are the Ceviche, Elote Corn, and Chicken Enchiladas. Out of the Tacos, I enjoyed the Filet Mignon more because it wasn't as dry.
Ola's atmosphere was lively and the food was good (not as stellar as I'd hoped for), but nothing beats that ocean view from your table in the OC.
21040 Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92648. 714-969-7300.