In the spirit of Fat Tuesday, I bring you The Best Bites of New Orleans.
While I visited back in 2012, the great ones still remain, from classics like Cafe Du Monde's Beignets and Emeril's Gumbo to my favorite find, "dirty" Barbecue Shrimp at Mr. B's Bistro.
1.) Cafe Du Monde
- your trip to New Orleans wouldn't be complete without these soft fried pillows of dough covered in Scarface proportions of Powdered Sugar, Beignets $2.42 for 3
Bite Advice: Don't wear black, 'cuz if the wind blows the wrong way, you'll end up looking like Tony Montana in the famous ending "mountain" scene.
- if i hadn't already ordered from the tasting menu, this would've been the only thing I needed, hearty, meaty, stew-like-thickness, Gumbo with Smoked Sausage $8
Bite Advice: Dip the warm, scrumptious, sweet 'n spicy Jalapeno Cornbread in it from the clever complimentary assorted bread basket.
- like nothing you've ever tasted, blackened yet fresh, plump 'n juicy, Chargrilled Oysters with Parmesan $11.50 for half dozen
Bite Advice: The Peacemaker Po-Boy was a major disappointment being way too try and tasting like cardboard. If you're gonna order it, make sure to ask for extra sauce on the side.
- the hand model had to restrain me from licking the plate of unbelievable Oyster Sauce & Red Wine Glaze, Slow Roasted Strip Loin of Two Run Farms with P&J Oyster "Bordelaise", Roasted Garlic & Salsify Puree
Bite Advice: The Crab Crusted Trout with Hollandaise came in close 2nd. Oh, and only order the tasting menu with a side of Foie Gras Pate if you plan on being in an hour long coma immediately afterwards.
5.) Mr. B's Bistro
- unexpectedly the best thing I ate, and I'm still craving the dirty spicy buttery bread lappin' brown sauce, Mr. B's Signature Barbecued Shell-On Shrimp in Pepper Butter Sauce with Fresh French Bread $18
Bite Advice: Come here on a weekday for cocktail lunch specials around $3 (being from LA, the hand model and I instantly thought it was a major typo – we were pleasantly mistaken). You also can't miss the addicting Chili Spiced Pecans served in their Signature Greens Luncheon Salad.