If you haven't been to Slapfish yet, you're seriously missing out. I know a thing or two about seafood having been brought up on the best from Eating the Ocean State to comparing The Great Lobster Roll from West to East Coast.
The fast-casual restaurant has several franchise locations popping up all over SoCal – Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and soon Irvine. But don't let the cafe style atmosphere fool you. The food here is nothing but casual with a bounty of buttery tender Maine Lobster meat, some of the freshest Fish Tacos ($2 a piece on Taco Tuesdays!), and housemade Dipping Sauces, Pickles & Chips.
Since the owners of Slapfish pride themselves on being water babies, they only source "eco-friendly and well-managed" sustainable seafood. Believe me, you can taste the difference.
- super plump portions, buttery tender on a New England style soft toasted split bun, Lobster Roll with Claw, Tail, Knuckles & Hot Drawn Butter MP
- tasted freshly baked out the oven but I kinda wanted more grease, Hand-cut Old Bay Potato Chips $3
- decadent, creamy, almost too rich, New England Clam Chowder with Red Potatoes, Clams & Bacon $6
- light 'n crisp with perfect balance of fresh veg, Ultimate Taco with Cabbage, Avocado Puree, Pickled Onion, Saffron & Radish on Corn Tortilla $6 each (or $2 each on Taco Tuesday)
- so massive you can't fit it in your mouth, burger is juicy but with all the fixins 'n spicy Awesome Sauce it overpowers the lobster, Surf N Turf Lobster Burger with Creamy Caramelized Onions & Hand-cut Fries $14
- lighter than you'd think, cool cream 'n chive with hot sauce kick, Lobster Toast (FREE with #Slapfish post)
I was seriously impressed with the quality of meat in their Lobster Roll. Forks down, it's the best thing on the menu, followed by the Fish Tacos and super friendly service.
Almost everything here is seasoned with Chives, Old Bay, and an acid-type topping, whether it's Housemade Pickling Juices or Hot Sauce.
And even though they're fast-casual, they still fancy up the beverages, serving San Pellegrino Blood Orange and Ginger Beer.